Thursday, May 8, 2008

#1: Greek Deli & Catering

Greek Deli & Catering
1120 19th St. NW

What I got: Falafel on pita w/ hummus, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and scallions, no sides
Cost: $7.98 after tax

For my first trip for this blog, I traveled the five blocks in the rain to 19th St. where I found Greek Deli & Catering. The service is very quick - they fly through the line, taking orders 6 or 7 people deep with the intention of having your food ready basically by the time you get up the counter. I waited a total of about 3 minutes for my food, which was very nice. I hate waiting. It also seems like people who go there really know what they want due to the ordering situation.

I walked back to my office and sat down to eat my pita. It was still warm (the falafel and pita both). There's a lot of taste to this one -- very flavorful and tasty. The hummus was really good (I licked some of the extra off the tin foil wrap it came in) and was light but not fake-light, if that makes sense. It also didn't fall apart in my hands, which was really nice. It was very, very good.

My only complaint was that it was a little expensive. $8 for it wasn't awful or anything, but with no sides (no rice or anything like that), it was a little much for just a falafel pita. That said, it was very tasty and filling. Definitely worth the trip.

I'll give it four stars out of five - if it was a little cheaper or came with sides, that would have bumped it up. Still, very good.

(I promise photos will get better. Yeesh.)


No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker